Sunday, July 19, 2020

Farewell To My Radio Hero: A King Among Men, the Incomparable Don Jackson of CHFI Fame

Dear Readers,

The world lost a beautiful soul this past week on July 12, when former CHFI-FM 98 music host and evening show host Don Jackson passed away.
He'd been ill with cancer for a few years, and with a courageous spirit, battled till the fateful end.

Don was my radio hero, the man I looked up to and admired as a young ingenue writer, penning romance novels and listening to his soothing voice before bed, as he read articles, poems and relationship/psychology advice from bestselling books, along with the love songs to accompany each show's specific theme. The show ran from 1990 to 2010 on CHFI-FM 98, Toronto's perfect music mix. From 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. weeknights, I tuned in eagerly, with my cassette deck on "record" mode.

In a strange, serendipitous way, Don was someone I got to know personally when I entered, and WON, a Mother's Day essay contest in May 2015. Along with his lovely wife, Lydia, and their beautiful children, Christina and Donny, they were gracious to invite me to dinner at their home and partake in a 25th wedding anniversary, which melted my heart and made me love them even more. Real people, really nice, just GENUINE and wonderful, made me feel like family. What an experience! I am forever grateful to the Jacksons for their friendship and hospitality. I feel closer to them than my own family, and that is saying ALOT.

My heart is broken over the loss of this amazing icon to the music world.  Don was so much MORE than a voice on the airwaves; he was HUMAN, authentic, deep, intelligent, charismatic, loyal, faithful, a devoted husband and exceptional father. I'll miss our chats and most of all, I will miss the music and wisdom you brought to a harsh world that badly needed your "Lovers & Other Strangers" program. May you rest with angels now, Don, and one day greet me when it is my turn to cross over to the pearly gates.

Love and admiration,
Your friend,

Rochelle Renee


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XL9s1L3XQ


2 comments:

  1. beautiful. Thank you Rochelle. You will always have a special place in my heart. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia...tears now...there are no proper ways to articulate the pain. I did my best to honor your beloved husband. You've brought tears to my eyes with your comment. I can't thank you both enough for the special gift you granted me in 2015 when we first connected. I wish I could go back in a time machine and experience that ground-breaking year all over again (you, Don, Trent, the lotto wins, the concert tickets, the magical moments, so many to mention and love) Bless your heart for being here. You inspire me always, strong and classy woman! much love, RR

    ReplyDelete