Saturday, September 28, 2024

Lost Flowers Enroute to a Friend

 Dear Readers,


I admit, I have been absent from this blog for a while, and for that I am sorry. What happened, you might ask? Well, life of course.

Knee surgery last December, a full summer of activities, concerts in the park, other concerts in the big city, and really GOOD food at various restaurants. Just to name a few things that kept me preoccupied. But, with "prep-tober" for Nanowrimo upon us, I am relaxing into "Fall mode," enjoying the scant appearance of Autumn leaves that are emerging here and there in Southern Ontario, and revelling in everything pumpkin spice.

Now, to get to the latest fiasco that happened yesterday. Lost flowers enroute to a friend. I'd used Teleflora to deliver birthday flowers one day early to a dear soul sister of mine in Pittsburgh. Simple enough, right? Browse the many gorgeous arrangements on the colorful website, click on "pay now" and voila! Flowers delivered within five or so hours to my pal.

Simplicity? Ease? No complications? In MY world? Okay, not to mock the universe, because yes, I do count my blessings, and AMAZING things DO occur for me on the daily. I say this in jest, because as a fiction writer, what would life be without a minor roadblock or hiccup in my heartfelt quest to send a sentimental gift to a cherished person? I expect these minor delays, because well, to quote John Lennon, "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans."

Okay, back to the flowers. They were a magnificent Autumn arrangement with fall-themed accents, black-eyed susans with that yellow pop of color, and vibrant orange roses, along with a pretty ceramic pumpkin vase! Heart-stopping, right?

I'd gotten an email notification that the flowers had been "delivered by hand" to the recipient at 6:43 p.m. Excited for my friend, I texted her to see what she thought of them. Flowers? What flowers, she asked. She had just left her house and run to the store for some errands. NOTHING was on her front porch. I was crushed.

Calling customer service at Teleflora, I connected with a soft-spoken woman named Theresa whose voiced sounded like butter, setting me at ease a little. She put me on hold, investigated, and got back to me. Apparently, the flowers showed at her end that they HAD been delivered to the recipient. My friend lives in a semi-detached house and shares the porch with her next door neighbor, so she inquired with that person. They'd only seen two Amazon deliveries that day, no flowers.

Again, I was disappointed, angered, that my friend did not get her birthday parcel and I had spent $103.00 USD on something I had purchased to brighten her day.

Being one day early with my friend's flowers, there is ONE positive aspect of this kerfuffle. Now I get a chance to remedy the situation and go with one of the other florists in Pittsburgh. Theresa, the customer rep, was so accommodating, that she offered to COMPLETELY refund all my money. But wait, my friend's birthday is the next day, Sept. 28th. She needs and deserves a pretty floral package in which to celebrate her special day!!! 

We agreed on the 50% refund on the lost flowers, Theresa re-ordered a NEW autumn bouquet from a different florist, and now the wait. I sit here Saturday Sept. 28 at noon with coffee in hand, eagerly waiting on the replacement flowers to safely arrive at my bestie's front door. I also got a 30% off coupon for my future order of flowers! How synchronous! In my circle, there are two important birthdays in October!!! This was music to my ears! Thank you, Theresa from customer service at Teleflora! You are a gem of a human!!! (Side note: the expiry on the 30% coupon for future use just happens to be March 27, 2025. My favorite singer Mariah's birthday!!! Synchronicity is SOOO WONDERFUL!!)

Coffee nearby, Aretha singing "I Say A Little Prayer" on my earbuds (totally random You Tube selection by the way. They are choosing songs based on my previous selections of the Three Degrees "Long Lost Lover" and the Stylistics "Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart)." I sure love me some Aretha singing Burt Bacharach on a sunny Saturday! Wow!!!

At any rate, I await the grand arrival of my friend's flowers. I will keep you posted! Thank you for listening.

Isn't that how life is, when you view it in the broader sense? "Lost Flowers Enroute to a Friend" can be an analogy for most of the missed chances we have in this universe. Or for the things we intended to say, but never delivered, to the ears of those we love. All the potential good and inspiring things that we so DESPERATELY wanted to say in the moment to the one we loved, yet we missed the chance because our foolish fear and lack of courage stood in the way, blocking the blessing. Or we were apprehensive because if the words HAD been uttered on our lips or rendered on some pretty stationary with roses, would the recipient laugh at us and toss our heartfelt scrawlings into the trash bin? Would they broadcast to their circle how "weird" and outlandish our gesture was?

Nothing haunts us like the things we wish we'd said, when that person was standing there in front of us, right there in all their glory, waiting to hear our life-changing words that would mean so much. Or perhaps the hug we wish we'd given them and the "I LOVE YOU" that should've left our lips while they were still alive. THAT one is my biggest regret by far (Miss you so much, George Watson).

On this glorious September 28th, I wish you goodness and laughter, loving moments with those you hold dear. Keep shining bright, like that Autumn sunlight beaming through my curtains right now. Love yourself a little harder. Never let anyone steal your joy or cancel your biggest dreams.

Cheering for you always,

RR xo





No comments:

Post a Comment